Is your hair on the fritz? Celebrity stylist Nick Chavez says winter weather can have the most damaging effects on our hair. This problem is even worse if you don’t know the proper precautions to treat and maintain your hair throughout the season. So add these tips to your hair care routine to control winter hair frizz.
1. Change how often you wash your hair this winter.
How you shampoo and condition are the foundation for how your hair will turn out that day. Although shampooing your hair too often may leave your scalp dry and your hair susceptible to breakage, a moisturizing shampoo can combat this. Cutting back the amount of shampoo you use, and perhaps even saving the shampoo treatment for every other shower, may also reduce the seasonal struggle.
Kevin Murphy’s Re.Store and Leave-In.Repair are conditioners that nourish, restore, and replenish all hair types. If you know your hair tends to lean more towards the frizzy or curly side, Kérastase offers a conditioner by the name of Fondant Fluidealiste that’s made for your hair. Apply a quarter-sized amount of Fondant Fluidealiste through your hair to soften and smooth your curls. It will provide an unbeatable sheen and softness.
2. Gently brush and dry your hair.
Maintaining your hair goes hand in hand with keeping it clean. Following the shower, how you brush and dry your hair can make or break your look. There are also a number of products available that will keep your strands healthy, strong, and beautiful.
Brushing Your Hair
Unless you absolutely have to brush your hair while it’s dry, keep all brushing and combing for when your hair is wet. Bringing a plastic comb into the shower with you will also ease the job of detangling without causing too much breakage.
Again, if you absolutely have to brush your hair while it’s dry, avoid using a plastic brush or comb. This will only generate static. A metal comb will allow you to detangle your hair and fight static.
Drying Your Hair
When towel drying, gently blot your hair. Do not twist or pull, as it will cause breakage, frizz, and flyaways. Microfiber towels are also a great investment: they are specifically designed to gently dry your hair without causing any static.
Try to keep your use of the blow-dryer to a minimum. They are one of the number one culprits for frizz, regardless of the time of year. In situations where it’s unavoidable, stick to a lower heat setting and aim the nozzle down the hair shaft to prevent frizz. Allowing your hair to air dry, or gently towel drying prior to blowdrying, will also protect your hair.
Special nozzles may also be attached to reduce the amount of heat your hair is exposed to. They also provide more control over the air blown out of the dryer itself. For curly hair types, a diffuser attachment will work wonders.
Routine Salon Visits
Regularly visit the salon to trim away split ends. Even this one change will minimize the amount of bad hair days you’ll have to battle this season.
Our team of expert stylists here at Deseo Salon & BlowDry in Denver, CO, are well-versed in a variety of deep-conditioning and nourishing hair treatments. Don’t hesitate to book your appointment today and start the new year with a new trim.
3. Find the right products for your hair.
Combine specialized hair care treatments designed to fight frizz and repair hair after the shower. You can also find products that kick frizz and flyaways to the wayside in the middle of the day. Mix and match these products to control winter hair frizz.
Beauty Oils and Extracts
- Oribe Cote d’Azur doubles as a hair and body oil. Sparingly mist the product onto dampened areas of dry hair or skin. The Oribe Cote d’Azur will lock in moisture, hydrating and smoothing your hair, scalp, and skin.
- Kérastase Elixir Ultimate Bi-Phase Spray Oil soften, shines, and leaves your hair voluminous. Just shake and spray section by section from the tops to the tips of your hair.
Hair Serums and Creams
- Kérastase Initialiste is an advanced serum that strengthens hair by maintaining and establishing a uniform shape, as well as keeping fibers smooth. Apply Kérastase Initialiste directly to your scalp and distribute throughout your hair after a lightly drying your hair with a towel.
- Kérastase Chronologiste is the ultimate purifying exfoliant, doing away with any unwanted dandruff. This product also serves as a primer and heat protectant. Apply the Kérastase Chronologiste to lightly towel-dried hair section by section before blowdrying.
- Kevin.Murphy Easy.Rider works wonders for curly and frizzy hair types by nurturing your follicles with vitamins. This treatment is as simple as applying Easy.Rider to damp or dry hair, as needed.
Winter can have the most damaging effects on your hair, according to celebrity stylist Nick Chavez. This damage will ultimately leave you pulling your hair out over breakage, frizz, and dryness. But now you know how to control winter hair frizz by winterizing your hair care routine.
This December, you can get off 20% your hair care products when you buy three in the salon. Load up for a new year of soft, manageable hair. If you are interested in learning more information about Deseo Salon & BlowDry, our stylists, products, or services, please contact us.