Summer is in full swing. There’s nothing like cooling off at the lake, on a beach, or by the local pool. But all of that water can be hard on your hair. Lakes and oceans have minerals that can break down your hair, no matter where you vacation. Poolwater also has chlorine and other harsh chemicals. If you want to keep swimming throughout the summer routine, take the right steps to nourish your hair and protect it from damage. At Deseo Salon & BlowDry, our professionals know how to manage hair care for swimmers.
What Makes Hair Care for Swimmers So Important?
When you’re swimming in a pool, your hair is constantly submerged in chemically treated water. Chlorine is tough on hair and begins doing damage even after a single swim. Even worse, it’s difficult to remove chlorine once it’s in your hair. Over time, you’ll experience damage to your hair and scalp including drying, irritation, and breakage.
At the beach, salt water pulls moisture from hair. This makes your hair turn dry and brittle. Even freshwater lakes have environmental acids and chemical runoff. This leaves hair more susceptible to further damage from your everyday styling routine, too.
Swimmers need a proactive hair care routine. This includes:
- Protecting your hair before you swim.
- Cleaning your hair after you swim.
- Talking to your stylist about long-term hair care.
Before You Swim
The good news is that there are myriad ways to protect your locks from damage. The best way to keep your hair safe from chemical damage is to proactively treat it with moisturizing oils. Hair care for swimmers starts before you even dip a toe in the water. So build a routine that fits your daily lifestyle with these key elements:
- Take a shower: When your hair is saturated with water, it cannot absorb as much of the damaging pool or ocean water. Make sure to thoroughly rinse and saturate your hair before taking the plunge.
- Protect your hair with leave-in treatments: If your swimming facility allows it, adding an oil or leave-in conditioner will provide your hair with a waterproof barrier. Fully coat your hair with an oil such as Oribe’s Côte d’Azur Luminous Hair & Body Oil or a leave-in conditioner like Kevin Murphy’s Leave-In.Repair. This creates a strong shield against damaging chemicals.
- Consider a swim cap: If you’re logging serious laps in the pool, consider wearing a latex or silicone swim cap. While it isn’t completely watertight, your hair will not be exposed to as much water during your swim. This also helps prevent tangles.
After You Swim
Don’t let chemicals sit in your hair if you can avoid it. Many pools and lakes have showers where you can rinse out your hair. Even a quick rinse without any other treatments helps prevent salt and chlorine from lingering and damaging the hair shafts.
Once you get home from the pool or your day on the beach, thoroughly wash your hair with professional products. Washing and conditioning your hair after your swim is of the utmost importance. This is not the time to use watered-down drugstore styling products. Using a quality shampoo, conditioner and hair masque including those from Oribe’s Gold Lust line will remove damaging elements and help maintain your locks.
Then gently comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb. Chlorine, sea salt, and playing in the water can cause hair to become a tangled mess. By combing carefully, and starting from the ends and working upward, you release the tangles and prevent breakage.
Professional Maintenance Is Key
Even when you follow all the tips of summertime hair care for swimmers, your hair still requires regular upkeep. Going to a professional salon keeps your hair healthy and looking its best. By regularly visiting your salon, your hairdresser can spot damage before it becomes extensive. Also, while using salon products at home will keep your hair healthy between cuts, your stylist can offer you several in-salon treatments. This will help combat long-term chemical damage and give you more options for styling your hair.
To keep hair in top form, see your stylist regularly for trims and color when you’re spending a lot of time in the water. When you stop by Deseo Salon & BlowDry, ask about our in-salon treatments to repair and transform damaged hair, including our keratin treatment, deep conditioning treatment, and the revolutionary Olaplex series.
Taking care of your hair doesn’t have to mean spending summer on the sidelines. With an ounce of prevention and a little extra follow-up, your hair will stay in peak condition while you enjoy the season. Book an appointment here so you can keep swimming without worries.